Brown Field Municipal (ICAO: KSDM) is located 1.5 miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border in the Otay Mesa community of the City of San Diego.Brown Field Municipal is a busy general aviation airport. General aviation encompasses all aviation except air carrier and military, although the military continues to maintain a strong presence (look at FA-18!). The types of general aviation aircraft that operate at Brown Field Municipal include private, corporate, charter, air ambulance, law enforcement, fire rescue, flight training, cargo, skydiving, banner towing, helicopters and... airships.
All types of aircraft are welcome with the 7,972 ft main runway. Even the famous CONCORDE and the huge AN-225 landed there. Fuel (Jet and Avgas), plenty of hangars, maintenance, ATC in effect, 2 instrument approaches and RAIL, HIRL lightning.
As for all of my MSFS mod, this small scenery is made from a pilot-eyes perspective. In real, I'm a Plus One Flyers member and mostly fly from Montgomery Field. I'm real PPL but a rookie amateur scenery developer: this mod is made with 99% of MSFS default objects library and feature massive number of details. The scenery is inspired by high resolution aerial views from Bing and Google maps. It's a mix between the satellite imagery displayed from MSFS and more accurate data found on Internet. 1000+ objects have been added to the default scenery to make in more live and bring a touch of an active area.
- Add +800 objects manually set
- All taxiway markings verified and redesigned if needed
- Add generic buildings to replace autogen MSFS
- Add fences border all around the airport
- Add resurfacing patches on runways
- Add ATIS (132.35), Ground (124.4) and Tower (128.25) frequencies
- Add some banners and signs on public side/business area
- Add Cafe Landing Strip, First Flight School, Altitude Helicopters, EAA Chapter 14 hangars and apron
- Add AVFuel and Philipps66 (First Flight) fuel spots
- Add plenty of static planes at First Flight school apron (as real as pictures and satellite imagery)
- Remove several spikes around the field, cleanup of some monolith trees close by the field
- Remove un-wanted blue light poles
- Fix PAPI position
- Fix pattern circuit's position
- Fix and correct windsocks
- New ground markings on apron (mixed between uptodate and older satellite imagery)
- Improve US Customs and Border Protections Air Unit (north side of the field)
- A lot of Helipad available (training on south east side and USCBP Air Unit at the North)
- F18 at the ramp, as real as it gets (see below)
How to install?
Unzip the file into your Community folder. Keep the folder structure from the zip (\AirportServices \ContentInfo, \MaterialLibs, \scenery, layout.json and manifest.json at the root directory). Once installed go to KSDM as usual, the scenery is overlayed over the existing default one.
If you love the San Diego area, you should also consider my other sceneries:
- KMYF Montgomery Field: https://flightsim.to/file/5856/montgomery-gibbs-exec-airport-taxiway-fix-and-many-more
- KRNM Ramona: https://flightsim.to/file/25710/ramona-krnm
- KSEE Gillespie: https://flightsim.to/file/36679/gillespie-field-ksee
- KOKB Oceanside: https://flightsim.to/file/37328/oceanside-box-maxwell-memorial-airfield-kokb
- L08 Borrego Valley Airport : https://flightsim.to/file/38247/san-diego-borrego-valley-l08
- The Bush Trip "San Diego VFR Transition" : https://flightsim.to/file/6276/vfr-transitions-at-san-diego
- Free stocked MSFS installed : Sedona
- World Update II (USA) and X (USA)
Known bugs and limitation
- A huge tree may appear at the (new) ATC tower location
- Altitude Helicopters signs appears only at very close distance then stay visible, the same for two signs at the terminal (airside) called "Transient" and "Jet Center"
- The borders airport fences are not finished on east side.
- The 2 jet fighters FA-18 at apron are not an error or a fantasy of the author. Brown Field was born as a army airfied then a Navy station (NAAS back in 50's) and with reduced hours at their air station in Miramar, Brown field allows the Marines to train on the weekends. It also reduces the time and cost of maintenance. Each time an F/A-18 lands at MCAS Miramar, it requires a full inspection, but that's not the case for other fields. Thus, you'll find often F18s at Brown Field!
- The main runway 08L/26R is huge 7'972 ft (2.4 km). It's one of the biggest in SOCAL. An Air France Concorde participated to the International Airshow in 1980 and 1988: https://youtu.be/G16hCcfrNTY?t=351 and https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6519379047
- "Low Poly GolfCart" (https://skfb.ly/6SKsJ) by apolodz is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)