MoD Boscombe Down is the home of a military aircraft testing site, on the south-eastern outskirts of the town of Amesbury, Wiltshire, England. The site is managed by QinetiQ, the private defence company created as part of the breakup of the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency in 2001 by the UK Ministry of Defence. Fun fact.... runway 05/23 is the longest military runways in the UK, and the 5th longest of all active runways in the UK.
This scenery will evolve over time but has reached a point where I'm happy to publish it. Even when complete it will mainly use Asobo assets to give an approximation of Boscombe Down, albeit an improvement over the autogen. I'm going to sprinkle a few custom models around for the major buildings, but won't be making custom models for everything! I'll strive to make it as good as I can within that scope, but if you've come here looking for a hyper-realistic, detailed, payware-level airfield then this probably isn't for you.
The autogen scenery for this airport was pretty poor, with wildly inaccurate buildings, poor apron texture colours and some clumsy patching up of satellite imagery. So I've made a start on improving it - it's a big site so it'll take a while to get through all this.
- Replaced all apron and taxiway textures
- Replaced many autogen buildings withe more suitable Asobo models
- Added hardened air shelter custom model (from RAF Lossiemouth dependency)
- Added custom models for hangars 168, 499 and 626 on the main apron.
- Added static aircraft
- Improved runway markings and signage
- Added clutter, vehicles and other airfield equipment
- Added dirt, tyre marks, etc to improve realism
- Added more painted lines to taxiways, roads, walkways, aircraft parking ramps
- Remade the poor quality satellite image patch-ups
- [Started] Add perimeter fences and walls
- [Future] Investigate whether the parking and taxiways need re-doing from scratch. I think some parking is incorrectly placed.
- [Future] Improve lighting if required
- [Future] Add helipads
Besides the handful of custom buildsing, virtually all the rest of scenery is Asobo generic assets with a few bits and pieces from various World and City Updates, plus the following scenery dependencies:
- DEPENDENCY: The bunker models are from the excellent RAF Lossiemouth scenery by nickb007 - I also added a few static aircraft from that scenery - thank you for letting me do this Nick.
- DEPENDENCY: The runway distance marker signs and a couple of other small models are from TurtleTank's Scenery Developer Objects and Materials library
- DEPENDENCY: Various Sim, World and City Updates. If in doubt I suggest you install them all, but these are ones I know I've used models from:
- Sim Update 7 (GoTY Edition)
- World Update 3
- City Update 2
Note #1: The Hawker Hunter shown in the screenshot is not part of this scenery, it was just my plane of choice when taking the screenshots. You can get it here.
Note #2: English Electric "gate guardian" model used with the kind permission of John Young at MAIW.