This scenery is still work-in-progress, so will likely receive several updates in the days after the initial launch (16th Sept 2023). I'm sharing it already since it's an improvement over the auto-gen despite there being more I plan to add. However if you want to avoid being spammed with frequent updates then please wait until I tick this over to version 1.0 or higher.
Even when complete it will likely use a mix of custom models alongside many Asobo assets to give a decent approximation of RAF Mount Pleasant, and a significant improvement over the autogen. I'll strive to make it as good as I can within that scope, but if you've come here looking for a hyper-realistic, detailed, payware-level airfield then this probably isn't for you.
RAF Mount Pleasant (EGYP) is a Royal Air Force station in the south Atlantic. It is home to between 1,000 and 2,000 British military personnel, it remains the newest purpose-built RAF station.
The autogen scenery for this airport was very poor, with wildly inaccurate high-rise buildings and poor apron texture colours, plus a general lack of detail as expected with auto-gen airports. I've made a start on improving it - it's a big site so it'll take a while to get through all this.
- [Mostly done] Replace all apron and taxiway textures, hand-drawn polygons to match satellite imagery materials
- [Mostly done] Replace autogen buildings with more suitable Asobo models OR...
- [Started] Custom models for some buildings, where there is no good matching Asobo model
- [Started] Add static aircraft
- [To do] Improved runway markings and signage
- [Started] Add clutter, vehicles and other airfield equipment
- [Started] Add dirt, tyre marks, etc to improve realism
- [Started] Add more painted lines to taxiways, roads, walkways, aircraft parking ramps
- [To do] Add perimeter fences and walls
- [To do] Smooth out the bumpy runway
I have no plans to make custom models for ALL the unique buildings at Mount Pleasant - although the scope of this project has grown, meaning we may see a few of the major buildings gradually added! Much of the scenery is Asobo generic assets with a few bits and pieces from various World and City Updates, plus the following scenery dependencies:
DEPENDENCY: I've used some models from the excellent RAF Lossiemouth scenery by nickb007 - thank you for letting me do this Nick.
DEPENDENCY: Various Sim, World and City Updates. If in doubt I suggest you install them all, but I've definitely used several buildings from Oceania World Update XIII
DEPENDENCY: MSFS 2020 object library 200+ models by ColinJ, although this dependency will be removed as I add some more custom models.
Wanted - more accurate hangar models for:
- The large main hangar
- The control tower
- The passenger terminal building
- [DONE] These shelters used to house Typhoons
If anyone knows of more suitable models that already exist please get in touch!